WCDSB Mission and Vision
WCDSB Code of Conduct:
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board recognizes the inherent dignity and worth of the individual. All individuals concerned with the school system -trustees, staff, students, parents, visitors to schools –are subject to the following code of conduct; a code of conduct that will be implemented within the Catholic faith life experience of each school community and consistent with the Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations, the Safe School’s provisions of the Education Act and Regulations and the constitutional right of Catholic school boards to manage their schools as stated through section 93 of the Constitution Act, 1867. APC 018 Code of Conduct
Please click to view School Handbook
Parents and other members of the community are not permitted to enter the school property at the back of the school (including the black top) between 8:35-8:50 and 3:20-3:35. In the morning, students should freely walk on to school property at the back of the school (including the black top), without parents/guardians. At the end of the day, we ask you to determine a meeting place with your children if it is necessary to pick them up.
Please see the map attached to this communication for suggested meeting places for students and parents/guardians. The final decision for the meeting place is determined by the parent(s) / guardian(s). Parents of JK/SK students will continue the practice of dropping students near the fenced area as directed by the classroom teacher. Please note the school is well supervised 15 minutes before and after school. At any one time there is total of 3 supervisors at the front of the school and 3 supervisors on the black top.
- We are asking that only students and staff members be on the school yard
- The front of the school, bus zone, blacktop, and yard are supervised by a minimum of 6 staff members from 8:35-8:50 every school day
- By only allowing staff members and students on the yard, our staff supervisors can ensure only authorized adults are on the yard – currently, this is very difficult to do
- We can ensure that student behaviour is managed by our qualified staff members in a manner that is consistent with school and board policy
It is our hope you will recognize this policy exists to ensure the safety of students and is consistent with school board policy. It will assist staff with monitoring who is on our yard in the morning and after school, and therefore, allow them to be more effective with supervising your children in our care. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at the school.
Drop Off-Pick Up Map
If your child is absent from school or late due to illness or appointments, you are required to call the office at 519-579- 5212. Please leave a message on the attendance line by selecting 1. We must know the location of students during school hours in order to ensure their safety.
If we have not heard from you, we will attempt to reach you at all contacts listed on file. If we are unable to locate anyone to confirm your child’s safety, our next step may be to call police as per the W.C.D.S.B.’s Safe Arrival Protocol.
If your child will be leaving for an appointment during the school day, please write a note in their agenda or to the teacher. Please do not phone the office. Your child will be called from the classroom for appointments once you have arrived and signed them out
Thank you for your support in helping to ensure the safety of all students,
Mr. Smith Mrs. Dafoe
Improving student achievement in Mathematics, in particular, Proportional Reasoning, will continue to be a focus at our school this year. The table below shows the percentage of all students who achieved at or above the provincial standard (Level 3) for 2016-2017. We have much to celebrate in our EQAO scores.
|Primary (Grade 3)|
|Junior (Grade 6)|
The student results on the EQAO assessments are one part of many important sources of information about student strengths and areas needing improvement. As a school community, we use them along with other classroom data to guide our own school improvement and instructional practices. More information about the Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) can be found at www.eqao.com.
The safety of students at John Sweeney is extremely important to all members of our community. Please see the information below regarding procedures before and after school.
- Parents/Guardians are not permitted on the black top/yard behind the school before or after school. There are designated pick up and drop off areas for students.
- Do not park in the kiss and go area. This is for drop off only before and after school. Please respect the signs indicating staff parking only in the school lot.
- Encourage your child to walk to school (age appropriate), with a friend and look for opportunities to car pool with others if it is necessary to drive.
- All pets including dogs are not permitted on school property to ensure the safety of students.
- Students are permitted on the school yard in the morning 15 minutes before the bell which would be 8:35. School staff do not begin supervision of students in the morning until 15 minutes before the bell. Please do not drop off students prior to this time.
- At the end of the school day students are asked to leave school property and proceed directly home. Students are not permitted to remain on school property.
Thank you for your continued support and helping us to keep our students safe.